When it comes to travelling the world, we don’t think that something like having to use a wheelchair should get in the way of your adventure ambitions!
Sure, there is no getting away from the fact that wheelchair users might have to make slightly different plans from traditional world travel routes.
Here at Balance Mobility we truly believe that anything if possible if you are armed with all of the right tips and tricks, as well as the right kind of enthusiasm!
If you are in the position of wanting to plan your own mobility conscious adventure, then here are some great tips for how to travel the world in a wheelchair.
- Research and preparation really is the key here. Non wheelchair users might be able to go from one location to another with little advanced prep, but that isn’t ideal for someone with decreased mobility.
- Research the destinations you are thinking of, find hotels and attractions that are stated as having all of the appropriate accessibility points for wheelchairs, because you don’t want to get somewhere only to find that it isn’t suitable for your needs.
- Send emails to both the travel companies you are using and the places you plan to stay, and they will be able to arrange the easiest options for you. These will include things like preferential boarding and seating on planes, along with rooms locations on ground or low as possible floors to eliminate any access issues that might arise.
- Do research about the types of vehicles that you might be able to hire in each country that you visit. Whether you are planning on actually being the driver or not, you still need to make sure that there will be space for your wheelchair and any other accessories that you need.
- Getting the right travel health insurance is a good tip for everyone planning on travelling, not just wheelchair users. If you have a condition, however, that runs the risk of needing extra attention, then it is super sensible to make sure that you are covered.
So, if you want to explore the modern options for wheelchairs before setting off on your adventure, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us!
A member of our trained and experienced team will be more than happy to discuss everything mobility related with you, making recommendations based on what you decide to tell us.
We very much look forward to hearing from you and helping you on your way to a trip around the world!